Date and Time Tuesday, February 26, 2019 8:00am – 4:00pm MDT
Location LCA Classroom (1705 – 36 Street North, Lethbridge, AB)
Description: The Art of Getting It Done! Effective Work Planning for Foremen
Sadly, proper detailed planning is becoming a lost art in the construction industry. This course aims to reverse that trend by providing foremen with a strong model that will improve their crews’ (and by extension their companies’) performance. The course focuses on providing a strong foundational knowledge of task planning that can be applied to any work and is equally applicable to the foremen of trade and general contractors. Using an interactive classroom presentation and hands-on table exercises, attendees are taken through a back-to-basics approach to site planning.
Coming out of the course, attendees will have built their own plan and 2 week look ahead schedule for an example activity. They will also be provided with blank templates they can use to apply the knowledge they’ve gained on their own work activities going forward.
Who should attend?
Effective Work Planning for Foremen is designed for foremen of all levels of experience and all trades. It also serves as a good back-to-basics refresher for superintendents.
Attendees will strengthen their skill (and value to their companies) by gaining a strong foundation in practical task planning. Working with hands-on, practical exercises, they work through the various elements needed to put together a complete activity plan for their crew. Course topics include calculating manpower needs, determining material and equipment needs, building quality and safety into the plan and much more!
By the end of the course, they will be able to:
• Identify the benefits of planning and why we do it
• Understand what planning is, who should do it, what we should plan and when
• Follow the Planning Cycle of Plan, Do, Check, Act
• Know where to gather the information needed to put together a solid plan
• Plan crew task activities including: Safety considerations, quality controls, manpower needs, material needs, equipment needs, and working with other trades
• Build a 2 week look ahead schedule
• Create daily crew work plans
• Monitor and correct/ update the plan if it goes off track
• Communicate the plan to others
• Using templates provided, develop their own task plans, 2-week look heads and daily crew plans
• Gather useful historical information to improve their future planning
Mark Taylor, P.Eng. (Non-Practising), G.S.C. is a construction industry veteran with over 30 years of frontline experience. Through his extensive experience leading and guiding major projects for international contractors, Mark has developed proven systems and strategies to improve site efficiency and effectiveness.
February 26, 2019 | 8:00am - 4:00pm
LCA Members: $295 (+GST) | Non-Members: $390 (+GST)
REGISTER NOW! This course counts for one Gold Seal Credit. For more information about Gold Seal, click HERE.